Hands down the most requested meal for me to make a healthier version of has been… MAC AND CHEESE! I’m from Wisconsin where cheese has it’s own section on the food pyramid. Of course, I love Mac and Cheese too.
I normally enjoy the original version on occasion as a treat (side note, I eat “treats” regularly & here is the post how). Still, I try to create healthier versions when I can.
Just like many of you, my level of health is seasonal. There are seasons like in summer or around the holidays when I’m more focused on activities, family, celebrations, etc. and my nutrition habits take a back seat. Currently, I’m in a season where I’m very focused on nutrition; I’m enjoying learning new things like ways to reduce inflammation through food and I love making healthier versions of treats I crave.
Another side note… if you need a motivational type of post on seasons, this topic reminded me of this post I wrote awhile back that was one of the most read posts I’ve ever written.
Back to the cheese-loving stuff, so I’m in this season of health-ifying my favorite junk foods, which is why you’re getting 2 Mac and Cheese recipes this week.
YES, MAC AND CHEESE LOVERS….
This is the 2nd (count it… 2nd!) healthier Mac and Cheese recipe of the week. The other original Mac and Cheese version is found in the Weekly Fall Meal Menu for this week (week 2) so be sure to check there. If you aren’t yet a meal plan member, you can join at any time and instantly gain access to these weekly meal menus including the Mac and Cheese recipe I’m talking about (scroll down for that!)
2 large avocados, halved & pitted
1/2 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
2 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp onion, diced
1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
2 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
3 tbsp unbleached fkour
1 cup whole milk
1.2 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
3/4 lb ruffles, rotini, elbow or other small pasta, cooked & drained according to package directions
1. Spoon avocado into a mini-food processor. Add in cilantro, parsley, lime juice, onion and garlic.
2. Process until smooth and reserve.
3. In a medium saucepan, heat the ghee over medium heat.
4. Stir in flour and whisk until smooth.
5. Add the two types of milk and stir until thickened.
6. Stir in avocado herb puree.
7. Add cheese by the handful until fully melted.
8. Pour mixture over pasta and enjoy.
Are you a Meal Plan Member Yet?
With your purchase of the Eat Your Way Lean Meal Plan, you’ll receive all current editions and access to future updates at no additional costs!
- Meal Plan (nutrition science, food approach, portions, timing, combinations, etc.)
- Cookbook (100+ recipes)
- Nutrition Kick Start Meal-By-Meal Guide
- Meal Prep Plans
- Warm + Toasty Cookbook
- Spring Cookbook
- Summer Cookbook
- Instant Access to the Weekly Fall Meal Menus (mini cookbooks sent out every week of the challenge)
See physical results through food + enjoy every bite!