You won’t believe this is a healthy recipe. Fall is the season when I am most obsessed with food. I love warm and toasty meals. The crockpot. Baking. Casseroles and hot drinks. Ya feel me on that?! This French Onion Chicken with a Crispy Baguette is everything fall meals should be: warm, delicious + satisfying in so many ways.
I am all about recipes that are lighter versions of our favorite indulgences. When we are most focused on making meals we love, the health results follow naturally. This recipe is exactly that.
Scroll down for this recipe because I know you’ll make it on repeat this fall.
French Onion Chicken with Crispy Baguette
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 large red onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 4 oz chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp unbleached flour
- 2 cups natural, low sodium chicken broth
- 4 slices baguette
- 1 cup swiss cheese, shredded
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, stripped from the stalk
- In a large ovenproof skillet, heat the butter and 1 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat until hot. Add in the onions and season with salt and pepper.
- Saute for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and stir the onions frequently until caramelized, about 20 minutes.
- Add in the balsamic and stir for 1 minute.
- Remove the onions to a large bowl and reserve.
- Increase the heat back to medium heat and add remaining olive oil. Add the chicken to the pan and cook for 7-8 minutes. Flip and cook for an additional 5 minutes or until chicken registers 165 with a meat thermometer.
- Preheat broiler.
- Remove the chicken to a plate and reserve.
- Add the flour to the pan, and stir for 1 minute.
- Pour in the chicken broth and stir until thickened and the consistency of a gravy.
- Add the onions an chicken back to the pan.
- Top each breast with a baguette slice, and top with cheese.
- Broil for 3-4 minutes or until cheese is melted and browned.
- Top with thyme.
ENJOY MORE DELICIOUSNESS
+save during our 15% OFF MEAL PLAN SALE (CODE: YUM15)
- all the info you need to know on what + how much to eat
- flexible guidelines to fit any lifestyle or dietary needs
- 100s of recipes
- +membership (you’ll receive seasonal cookbook for free via email)