Give me all the crockpot recipes….I poll you ladies often, asking what recipe you like most and the top answers always include: the crockpot.
As a busy mom of 2, I totally get it. This recipe requires just 10 minutes of prep time. Then, you dump it all in the slow cooker, cook for a few hours and you have a wonderful delicious meal…with lots of leftovers if desired.
Slow Cooker meals are a great option for those short on time. This recipe, in particular, is a standout because it’s so easy to make, uses simple ingredients (that you likely already have in your kitchen!) and delivers on taste and satisfaction.
The chicken and mushrooms served over orzo pasta with the garnishes is a hit for my entire family, and I hope for yours too! You’ll find it hard to believe this could be a crockpot meal.
Crockpot Italian Chicken & Mushrooms
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large chicken breasts, halved
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 4 oz. baby bella mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Season the chicken breasts with salt, pepper, oregano, basil, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes.
- When the oil is hot, add the chicken breasts and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until browned.
- Place chicken in the bottom of a slow cooker.
- Add onion and mushrooms to the pan, and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, and sauté for 1 minute.
- Pour in the broth and scrape up all the browned fond on the bottom of the pan.
- Pour the broth and aromatics over the chicken.
- Cover, and cook on low for 4-5 hours, or cook on high for 2 1⁄2 hours.
- When the chicken registers 165 with a meat thermometer, pour in the orzo.
- Stir well.
- Cook for an additional 20 minutes, or until orzo is cooked through.
- Garnish with fresh parsley, and serve.
IF YOU LIKED THIS RECIPE, YOU MAY ALSO LIKE THESE 2 NUTRITION RESOURCES