This Egg and Sausage Breakfast Casserole is a healthier take on a family tradition I enjoyed growing up. This casserole is one my mom made for our family every Christmas morning. The original version is a bit heavier and creamier so I tried to keep the great taste while lightening it up a bit.
Egg & Sausage Breakfast Casserole Recipe
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 lb turkey sausage
- 6 slices sprouted bread, roughly chopped
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1/2 tsp ground sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 4 oz grated cheddar cheese
- Grease a large baking dish with olive oil
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook turkey sausage until browned. Drain turkey on paper towels.
- Place bread in the bottom of the prepared pan and top with sausage.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, pepper and paprika.
- When well mixed, add the cheese to the milk mixture.
- Pour over bread.
- Refrigerate for up to 12 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove pan from refrigerator while preheating oven.
- Bake uncovered until golden brown and eggs have set, this takes around 40 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
DOWNLOAD/PRINT TO SAVE RECIPE
Want more recipes like this one? Join the LG Meal Plan!
Get the guidelines on how to see results through food alone and access 100s of recipes.