Hello, holidays! It’s the most magical time of the year. For those of us who are passionate about healthy living, it can also be a challenging time to navigate. Do you get in a workout on Thanksgiving?! Do you indulge at every holiday party?? How exactly do we balance our usual lifestyle and goals with all the exciting events the holidays has in store.
You know by now, I embrace living life to the fullest. I think of healthy living as my foundations. I prioritize it because it allows me to feel my absolute best, such as during the chaotic holiday season. With that said, I embrace all the moments of the holidays. Over the years, I’ve collected several hacks, so here are 10 practical tips to navigate the holidays…
1. Get Ahead – We all love to make new years resolutions but why wait?! It’s more common to take the approach of enjoying the holidays and starting fresh in the New Year. However, we can still enjoy the holidays AND get ahead with our new year goals. By starting now and being conscious, we can be in a better position when the new year hits.
5. Focus on Sunday – Thursday – I try to do this almost every week and not just around the holidays because it works so well for me. I know my treats, drinks and indulgences tend to fall on Friday/Saturday. I make a point to really focus and buckle down Sunday – Thursday so I can enjoy more Friday + Saturday.
7. AM/Home Workouts – during a busy season, I like home workouts in the morning. Here’s why… when I workout from home, I save over 30 minutes in the commute along. I also workout in the AM. Do I want to to that?! Not always, but it ensures I get it done. You can expect that unexpected things will pop up during the day, which makes a workout later in the day less likely.
8. Home Cooked Meals – I aim to cook at home a lot more during the holidays to offset a bit more meals out. There are a lot of “hidden” calories and sodium in even seemingly healthier meals at restaurants and quick options like Chick-Fil-A and sandwich shops, so this is a tip that makes a big impact.
9. Accountability/Support – having an accountability partner helps keep you going and makes everything more enjoyable. Whether you have someone in your life to buddy up with during the holiday season or if you want to lean into the LG community, this will help keep you more consistent!
10. Have Realistic Expectations – I find that I navigate the holidays best when I set realistic goals for myself. I aim to lift 4 days per week. I set a goal of 60 minutes of cardio per week. I limit my drinks to 1-2 nights/week. That is realistic for me, so find a spot that is realistic for you… something that prioritizes your wellness while enjoying