I’m calling this week “Feel Good Week” here on the blog because I want to focus on all facets of healthy living. Today, I want to share my ultimate happiness hack for feeling good and enjoying an ordinary day. You’ve definitely heard me mention this at least 100x if you follow me on social media but I want to dedicate an entire blog post to it because it’s truly improved my life that much.
Let’s back up… we talk so much about fat loss, muscle building, abs, etc. but at the end of the day, don’t we all just really want to feel good about ourselves? Aren’t we really just after happiness??
I believe health can be used as a foundation for feeling good, which is why I’m so passionate about everything I share. One reason I believe healthy living is a happiness booster is because it lays the framework for an intentional life.
You don’t just end up in the gym, right?! Healthy living in a series of intentional acts that get you to your goals. Similarly, this happiness hack of mine is all about living life with intention: the intention of feeling good and being happy.
“HOW ARE YOU ALWAYS SO HAPPY”
I’m asked that question a lotttt. Truth is… I haven’t always been Miss Happy and that’s why I believe your happiness means so much to me.
We all know what it’s like to be in funk, to have a shitty day or to feel low. Life has ups and downs but every once and awhile, we have too many down days and it’s just plain crummy.
Yeah… I’ve been there. A few years ago, I came up with this happiness hack because I was just having a lot of blah days. I couldn’t even tell you what was the matter. Some days I just woke up without enthusiasm. Other days, I felt like I simply checked off a to-do list and failed to have fun.
This happiness hack is to feel good on a random Tuesday or better yet… Monday. Why can’t we love Mondays?? Why can’t the best day of our week be Wednesday?! Let’s stop waiting for the weekend, for vacation, for big plans to feel happy.
This hack is all about enjoying an ordinary day because let’s face it… the majority of our days are ordinary days and it’s up to us to make the extraordinary and enjoyable.
Learn to appreciate the ordinary and you will live an extraordinary life.
Here is step #1… you need to make your enjoyment list. 10 ordinary, daily things that bring you happiness. We will strive to hit 3 things on our list every. single. day.
The goal is to not make it a “oh my goodness I must hit 3” and scramble to do something. Rather, it’s to live intentionally and to fill your spare time with things that bring happiness.
You know what I mean?!
MAKE YOUR LIST #LGHappinessList
Here’s your homework for the day. Make a list of 10 ordinary things you enjoy.
Think of 10 things that truly bring you happiness that requires very little. Of course a vacation, concert tickets, a new handbag, fancy date night all bring us happiness but what are seemingly average things that you enjoy?!
1. READING: reading brings me such happiness but when I’m busy, I don’t always make time for it
2. CATCHING UP WITH A FRIEND OR FAMILY MEMBER: this can be done via phone call, FaceTime or in person but texting doesn’t count. Because many of my best friends and family live in different states, I’m always setting up “phone dates” – it’s more of a quality chat that is uninterrupted where we can really catch up.
3. HOME DECORATING/ORGANIZING: for some this is a chore, but I actually enjoy reorganizing a cabinet, arranging a centerpiece for my dining room table, etc.
4. BATH: I never thought a bath was a luxury before becoming a mom, but I’ve found when your to do list is long, you opt for a quick shower over relaxing in the bath.
5. FAMILY DANCE PARTY: this is one of our favorite family activities. Seriously! We blast music through the Sonos, sing, and dance with our little guy. He doesn’t stop smiling for 30 minutes. I love it!
6. PODCAST: I have been enjoying podcasts so much – if you have any recommendations, please share them with me on Instagram or in the comments
7. OUTDOOR TIME: I love a little time outside whether its a casual walk, sitting on the patio to drink coffee or a walk to soak up some rays. There’s something about the fresh air and sunshine that rejuvenates me.
8. MEDITATE/STRETCH/YOGA: this isn’t for exercise. I feel so good when I take a moment to clear my mind which all of these do for me. Ideally, these would be uninterrupted/silent moments.
9. LUNCH DATE: this has been an absolute favorite for Anthony and I since we started dating. Can I bore you with this for a minute?? Anthony and I started dating in high school. Since then, we’ve gone on like 1000 dates but funny thing is that neither of us really enjoy a fancy dinner date. I mean every once and awhile it’s fun but we love cooking together at home most. Lunch is casual and easy. You can make it healthy. It fits into the day pretty easily. The restaurants aren’t jam packed. We’ve always tried to meet up for lunch during a busy week whether is was the summer day dates during high school, meeting at the cafeteria in college or getting away from work for a bit now. It’s a great way for us to stay connected, close and constantly communicating.
10. SOMETHING NEW/DIFFERENT: I’m leaving #10 open for something new or different that I come up with. There’s always something ordinary that becomes extraordinary.
I keep this list in the notes section of my phone and by now, it’s become second nature that I’m aware of these 10 things and whenever I’m not working or not doing mom/wife/life duties, I’m finding a way to incorporate the things I love.
Your turn! Please keep in touch on this… let’s call it the #LGHappinessList How you feel truly means a lot to me and I will continue sharing as many resources as possible to help you feel good. XO